The car sauna challenge is an event where you have to stay in the car for as long as possible without bailing out due to heat. It will get very hot in the car.
The rules of the Car Sauna Challenge are as follows:
- It must be a hot, sunny day.
- Your car must have a heater that works or otherwise must get very hot.
- You must wind the windows up (they must be fully closed).
- You must close all doors or any other area where heat might escape.
- You must turn your heater up to full (if you have one).
- There has to be 2 or more people to play.
- The first person to bail out is the loser, and the last person to be left in the car is the winner.
The Car Sauna Challenge was first played by Top Gear presenters, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May. They showed a clip of them playing it in a news segment. The first person to get out was Jeremy Clarkson, so he was the loser in that game. He bailed out at about 62 degrees celsius, which was after about 4 minutes. They used a Mercedes-Benz E-Class for the challenge.
- Clarkson: It's now 37.8 degrees in here, as you can see, that's before the test begins.
- Clarkson: Let's just make this fair, the loser has to pay the others a tenner.
- Clarkson: Temperature check, 53 degrees
- May: Oh yes!
- Clarkson: Can you see my face, can you see my face now?
- May: I don't think they're going to want to!
- Hammond: What are we percentage water?
- Clarkson: 98% percent water.
- May: Less.
- Hammond: Water does evaporate, so what we are breathing is each other.
- Clarkson: You're breathing my chest!
- Hammond: Awww, awww (coughs and splutters)
- Clarkson: 59.7
- May: Stupid game!
- Clarkson: 61.9 degrees
- Clarkson: Guys, I'm out.
- May: Come on!
- Hammond: You owe us 10 pounds each!